Friday, July 11, 2008


Hi, I'm Paul and it's always a joy to visit what has become my second home, North Sumatra.

I was a Fulbright Researcher in the Batak lands during the academic year 2003-2004. And, just last year, I was a visiting faculty member at the STT-HKBP, the largest Batak Lutheran Seminary. I hope to introduce the SALT group to some wonderful Batak pastors and theologians in the HKBP like Rev. Dr. Fridz Sihombing and Rev. Nelly Hutahaen.

Prior to my life as an adopted Batak, I was a missionary for the ELCA in Indonesia from 1993-1999 in Yogyakarta. I still have trouble moving back and forth between the cultural milieu of Java and Sumatra because the Javanese and the Bataks have very different customs and mannerisms.

I have many fond memories and working relationships with many pastors, educators and church leaders in Indonesia. Currently, I'm a faculty member of Valparaiso University but my heart lies in Batakland. Perhaps it's because I have the same birthday as Ludwig Nommensen (February 6)? Who knows.

Horas!
(The photo above is of me and my friend Fridz Sihombing from the STT-HKBP).

No comments: